header

bloglovin feedburner facebook google plus pinterest Image Map

pages

sponsor home freebies link parties deals contact Image Map

April 2, 2013

Easter Recipe Reviews

Today I would like to share some of my adventures in the kitchen this past weekend.  Easter was low key for us, but that did not stop me from trying out a few new dishes that I have pinned lately.

We started the day with a little breakfast and a surprise visit from Grandpa.  He wanted to see the little bear and "his" dog.  I suppose the hubs and I were some where on that must see list too.  haha

Here is a sample of our brunch menu:

Chocolate Covered Strawberry "Carrots"

One side is the Pinterest image, the other side is mine... can you guess which is which?  haha  They were not as pretty but they were pretty good!

Next we had some Cinnamon Bread.

Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread
The left picture is the Pin, the right is my semi-homemade version before it went into the oven.  The original recipes was to make your own dough and all that.  I decided to try an easier route and used Pillsbury Grands! Biscuits.  Since there were only 4 of us, I just used one can and cut each biscuit into thirds.  Rolled them in butter and cinnamon sugar, then baked. They turned out perfectly and were a hit.     
 
Throw in some OJ, bacon, and hard boiled Easter eggs; and our simple brunch was complete. 

Lunch was nothing fancy.  We were all saving room for dinner!  

easter dinner


As you can see, we had a basic Easter Dinner - ham, scalloped potatoes, corn bread, and green beans.  The potatoes were from a box, I really can't make them any better than old Betty Crocker can! Although I will say next time you make these, sub buttermilk for the milk.  It helps to add a creaminess to the mix.  

The corn bread was another Pin from The Sisters Dish, and it was excellent! 


Rather than making a glaze for the ham, I went with a non-traditional red-eye gravy.  I love glazes, but hate that they are only on the outside.  I wanted that yummy flavor all over the place.  

Cola Red Eye Gravy



The green beans were what I call my fancy green beans.  I wanted the flavor of a green bean casserole, but not the heaviness.   These may be my new favorite side dish! 

Fancy Green Beans


Left picture is from Yesterfood

Finally, I made a Honey Bee Cake from Yesterfood.  The cake was easy to mix up and tasted wonderful.  The recipe makes one 9 inch pan, and the only frosting you need is whipped cream... or even fresh fruit.  Perfect for our small family.  I loved this cake, even if I did over cook mine a bit.  I have dark baking pans and every once in a while I forget to adjust the baking times to compensate.  I can't wait to try again and have some more of this cake!

All in all not too bad of a kitchen adventure, and we definitely had a wonderful Easter.  How did your holiday cooking go?  Any new favorites?

   









Looking to grow your blog? I have Sponsor Spots open this week - priced to fit any budget, including FREE! Hop over to my sponsor page for more details.




 

1 comment:

  1. That cola gravy sounds amazing! :) Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips